Subject: RE: [Leica] ODDS and ends
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:58:44 +0100

Paul Chefurka wrote:

"I can't understand why the RF isn't selling - it must be the lousy
engraving on the top plate.  As a camera design, I think it represents
a humiliating defeat for Leica."

Let me get this clear. We're told - from a number of sources - that Konica
RF sales since its launch are a huge disappointment. In contrast, during the
first three quarters of FY 2000/2001 M6 sales are *up* by 11.7%.

This represents a "humiliating defeat for Leica"?

In addition to the technical niceties, for a camera design to be considered
a success it has to sell in sufficient numbers - and price - to make back
the R&D budget, or at least show signs that it might do this eventually.
Those signs don't seem very clear for the RF as yet.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

Wapingapo fahali wawili, ziumiazo ni nyasi

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] ODDS and ends)
Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] ODDS and ends)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (RE: [Leica] ODDS and ends)
Reply from Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com> (Re: [Leica] ODDS and ends)