Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus and 21mm F4 Color-Skopar
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 06:32:50 -0700

Guy Bennett wrote:

> >Has anyone had a chance to evaluate the Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color-Skopar
> >against the 21mm 2.8 Elmarit non-aspheric? (I know the Color-Skopar is a
> >very new lens.)
> >
> >Mark Bohrer
>
> Mark,
>
> Chances are that the 21 Skopar will be similar to the 25 Skopar in relation
> to the equivalent focal lengths made by Leica. (This is what Tom A.
> suggested in his assessment of the new lens.) It will most likely be a
> highly compact, good performer, not quite as sharp as the Leica ASPH 21 and
> one full stop slower, but also some $1700 less expensive. A great option if
> you don't wish to spend $2000 on a lens.
>
> Until recently I used the 25 Skopar on a IIIf and the results were very
> fine, even in 8x10 prints. I just sold it to buy the 21 Skopar for its
> wider view & rangefinder coupling. If the quality of the 21 is like that of
> the 25, it is going to be one solid lens.
>
> Guy

Have fun you guys with your fake Color-Skopars. (My first lens was a real one)
who'd EVER want to ever spend $2000 on a lens? Not ME! But i do anyway!
In my 20's and 30's I'd save for half a year for a new Nikon lens.
Now the anti is up and I'm in my 40's and 50's and i save up for half a year for
a new Leica lens.
The point is the quality of my images have gone up as my hair falls out and my
waistline expands.
I could be trading fake Skopars back and forth like trading cards but what's the point?
I say
SAVE UP THE MONEY and get Leica quality.
IMO the GLASS is more important than the camera.
IT'S THE GLASS THAT COUNTS.
That's what Leica is all about.
Cheap glass is everywhere. Leave it off your Leica.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA
http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/