Subject: Re: [Leica] Magnum
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 06:38:44 -0700

Oddmund Garvik wrote:

> Mar 1 mai 2001 21:57:28 +0200
> "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be> a écrit:
>
> > >Lots of images of photographs using the M6 leica .
>
> Let's moderate it...the M-Leica certainly, but also other other cameras:
> Mamiya, Rolleiflex, Contax, Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc. The camera is a
> personal choice and not a big deal in the big context. The important thing
> is the images, images, images, and the emotion.
>
> > >The weird image was to watch a photograph banging his M6 several
> > >times , and quite hardly , against the steering wheel of his car while
> > >driving !  He added that this kind of treatment usually fixed the
> > >jammed camera !
> > >
> > >I'm still shaking !
>
> The M-Leica is more solid than you think. And banged cameras are normal in
> photojournalism. I rarely buy them new, so I always have banged cameras...
>
> It was the Canadian photographer Larry Towell you saw in the Magnum
> reportage, working on his Mennonites project  - a very fine photographer.
> I've got an interesting book about El Salvador by Larry Towell:
> http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/spring97/el.htm
>
> > And the more curious was that it seemed he got only a camera with him as
> > he asked a farmer (not very rich)  if he had another camera for him.
> > Ted's advises (about gear on assignement e.g.) are good, even for Magnum
> > photographers !!
>
> I always liked the minimum outfit concept on reportage: 1 M with a 35 and
> a 50 mm, another spare M in a pocket, together with a good point and
> shoot. Films everywhere. And then of course a lot of charm with strong
> ideas behind, compassion, solidarity, an open mind. When you are friendly
> and flexible, problems never occurs.
>
> There are no receipt in (Leica) photography, but there is a tradition to
> live up to, a road to follow. Directions.
>
> I have a credo. Some of you know a little about it. Others know nothing,
> or don't care. That is ok for me. But when I am speaking here, it must not
> become a pretext for bashing and boring nonsense.
>
> We are living in different worlds. A recent example was the bashing of
> Stanislaw Stawowy (being accused for "sexism"...).
> And then all this whining every time I open the mouth and write about
> (Leica) photography and human life. I know, Politics, even with a small p,
> barely exists in America, or is taboo. MacCarthy's spirit is still alive.
> The President was pointed out by judges who mainly were nominated by the
> Presidents father - the number I. Public life in the US and "politics" is
> show and money, bread and circus. And now it is even getting brownish.
> I know that under the surface things are fermenting also in "God's Own
> Country". There are a lot of injustice, enormous struggles and of course a
> lot of documentary to do. Why do we hear and see so little of that here on
> the LUG? Leica cameras are a tool for reportage, for making reflections
> and creating emotions. You don't really need this silent and unobtrusive
> [...]

Actually this is a political troll Oddman. Since you've been gone we've got a
pretty hard core no politics rule going here on the lug. We avoid politics like
a plague its too incendiary. Although I'm sure we could have equal fun with
abortion and religion. Might be what life is all about but it's not what this
list is all about. Plenty of political hang banging elsewhere. Let's hear about
your latest lens caps. Are they Titanium?
:)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA