Subject: Re: [Leica] Testing notes and questions.
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 16:17:30 -0700

Dante Stella wrote:

> 1.  When you are tesing a 21mm lens, is there a customary distance
> (say, some multiple of the focal length) at which you check for fine
> detail rendition?  Usually, I shoot at a skyline with varying distances,
> and the way I judge lenses is by the smallest thing (like, say a facade
> brick or a limestone caulk seam) that comes out.  This seems to have
> failed me with 21s, since it seems that what I normally use to check
> overall quality are now smaller than film grains.

The only easy way to compare two lenses of different focal lengths is to
choose a target you care about and move the shorter one closer to the target
(or the longer one back) until the size of the image on film for each lens
is the same.

>I am
>beginning to get the idea that slavish devotion to focusing at infinity
>wastes the DOF on objects too small to render well on film.

Right. Forget infinity.
Stuff there is hard to see even with a telescope... :)
Focus on a closer target. It will shorten your walk back to the camera.