Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm comparisons
From: Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:01:12 -0400

Steve LeHuray wrote:
> The question is, why are cinema zoom lenses so much faster
> than for still cameras? I have three Angenieux cinema zooms, all quite fast.
> For example my 9.5mm to 57mm is a f1.9, my 16mm to 44mm is f1.3. Anybody
> know the answer?
>
> sl
As other have noted, one reason is that a cinema frame is generally smaller than
a Leica frame.
The other reason is that cinema lenses can be and are much much bigger and
heavier than still camera lenses. They are also in a different price category.
The short answer is that the market for a six figure 20lb. zoom lens to put on
an EOS is severely limited, even if said lens is very sharp and faster than
other zooms.
On the flip side, some companies do offer 35mm still lenses converted for motion
picture use.

Bernard