Subject: [Leica] Re: re-Black tape flavors
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:04:00 -0700

At 04:02 PM 5/16/01 -0700, Tristan Tom wrote:

>-someone spotting me from across the street just sees that i'm taking
>pictures. without the black tape, they see that i'm taking pictures
>with a leica, there is a difference.

Maybe one-one-millionth of a difference. Out of a million people, maybe one
will know what a Leica is. And in general he/she will be a nice person. And
will wave and say... "nice camera."

I spent the entire month of September 1998 in England, Germany Switzerland,
and Holland. Took 40+ rolls of E6, a dozen rolls of C41. I shot on the
street, markets, trains, subways, hotels, airplanes, my M6 and 34/1.4 ASPH
was around my neck permanently. I have photos of everything I did, everyone
who was with me and most of those who were not, inside every market,
restaurant, airport, train station, other people eating at indoor and
outdoor restaurants, other people buying at open markets. I even took
photos in no photo places. The Crown Jewels, Windsor Castle, Shakespeare's
home, Westminster Abby. I drove 2000 miles in England and 3000 KM in
Germany, Holland, and Switzerland and took pictures of everything,
everywhere, day or night. I took pictures of shoppers, lovers, grumpy
people, happy people, dancers, singers, simply everyone and everything.
Roughly 2500 frames. f/1.4 and be there.

Bottom line... not a single person paid any attention to me. Not a single
person said "Oh, a Leica." Not one single person!

I personally believe that a Leica M6 is one of the most UNRECOGNIZED
cameras in existence.

I also believe that thieves will opt for the big well known consumer
cameras (Nikon F5, Canon EOS, Minolta, etc.) that are easy to fence. Offer
an F5 to an arbitrary crowd of 1000 people for $300 and at least 500 people
will stampede to you. Offer an M6 for $300 and you most likely will get no
takers.

The odd person that you find that knows what a Leica is, is probably not a
thief and is most likely a knowledgeable higher class person. While making
the photographs for my San Francisco books, probably 30 days of
photographing over three years, I ran into one person who said "Oh, a
Leica. Nice camera." I also did two books of Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific
Grove (CA) which is a big tourist area. I spend weeks there every year
(it's close.) I have carried and used my Leicas there for thirty years and
neither remember anyone ever paying any attention to me nor saying "nice
Leica" or the like. Over the past two years, I've been carrying a
Hasselblad with 40 and 110 lenses rather than the Leica. Taking photographs
on the street, in restaurants, stores, everywhere. Still no one says
anything about me photographing. But I have had numerous people say things
like "Oh wow, a real camera. A Hasselblad."

Much to the consternation of Scott Stewart, I believe that Marc Small can
verify viewpoint this as his law practice deals heavily with the criminal
element. Many times, thieves. And according to Marc, not only do they not
know what a Leica is, they would rather not risk arrest by stealing one.
Yes, Leicas get stolen. But not usually directly by petty thieves looking
for something fenceable. Usually when they are in a bag and left unwatched.
I lost two Leicas and some lenses, over 20 years, this way. Just "camera
equipment in a bag" is all the thief knew when they broke into my van.

Why doesn't someone ask Tom Abrahamsson and Ted Grant what kind of tape
they put on their Leicas. Together, Tom and Ted have traveled to more
places, taken more photographs, with multiple Leicas hanging around their
necks, than most of the rest of the LUG combined. Ask them how many times
people recognize their Leicas and how many times they have been accosted by
someone wanting to steal "a Leica." I can answer this. No tape, ever. And
probably no Leica related accosting.

Can't you just picture Ted and Tom, running around with tape on their
cameras... Gloriously funny sight! :)

And what kind of tape should I use on my Hasselblad...  ;-)

Jim

ps... if you have to use tape on your camera, you shouldn't be
photographing at all as you are already feeling embarrassed about what you
are doing.

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: re-Black tape flavors)