Subject: [Leica] Re: Photo Center in Walnut Creek
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:47:20 -0700

Actually, their ad in today's paper says "Local Family Owned and Trusted
Since 1949."  I bought my first serious camera there when it was called
Photo Center on Main Street, where La Fogata is now, in 1970, at age 12.  A
Hanimex Practica Nova 1B.

In 1959 I was a Sophomore at St. Mary's College in Moraga, CA. I was
appointed official photographer for the college publicity office. What a
deal! I got a charge account at Photo Center in Walnut Creek, a Speed
Graphic, a darkroom, unlimited film, flashbulbs, chemistry, and paper. I
remember the first 250 sheet box of Agfa Brovira I bought on account.
$32.00!! A lot of money to me. I got paid $2.00 per hour to enjoy my hobby.
My cameras then were a Perfex 55 "Leica copy" and a Kalloflex TLR "Rollei
copy" which I still own. Photo Center was a great store. I'm glad it lives
on still. Too bad my mother threw away all my negatives of the era.

Bill Lawlor