Subject: [Leica] Black tape types (flavours not considered)
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:08:27 -0700

OK.

Tape.

Whatever colour.

Duct tape is for sealing air handling _ducts_. No more, no less.
There are various qualities, surface treatments and adhesives,
depending on the type of ducts, joint stability, temperature range,
insulated/non-insulated or whatever. In my architectural practice
I've inspected many duct installations and seen many types of tape.
They are specified by manufacturer and type/number. Most are
unsuitable for anything photographic, and are usually gray, silver or
white. Usually 2", sometimes wider or narrower.

This is not the tape that you use to hold your race car together, or
that you use to make something watertight, although you might try to
use duct tape in a pinch. Those types of tape may be derived from
duct tape, but are not _duct_ tape. I realize that unfortunately they
are often still referred to as duct tape.

Gaffer's tape is a whole range of usually cloth backed tape with an
adhesive that leaves little or no residue. A whole range of this is
available, with somewhat different characteristics.

Hockey tape has relatively little adhesive and an abrasive cloth
backing to insure good friction with the puck and/or hockey gloves.

The tape that I put on cameras, and that I find a lot of uses for is
3M Scotch #235. Available in various widths and a couple of colours.
I usually use 3/4", and carry some like Ted wrapped around a film
can. I also carry a small diameter roll of duct tape for
miscellaneous uses, and have even been know to use some of this on
ducts, since it was the only duct tape available to me before the
building inspector was to arrive.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design