Subject: Re: [Leica] Focotar Enlarging lenses
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:38:01 -0400

Well, I have only seen ONE Focotar-2 in 'the flesh', and it looked a lot
like the regular Focotar, except it said- Focotar-2 on the rim! I have heard
that the Focotar-2 was marginally better, but that it is much rarer and the
price difference doesn't justify getting it in lieu of a reguilar focotar.
I have had several Focotars- 50/4 models, and Sherry has always brought the
'dirty' ones up to par for about $50, and they have all been sterling
performers.
I have the 50 and the 40/2,8 Focotars now, and when I compared their
performance with one of the Schneider APO 50's a friend had, and on his
enlarger, too- the difference with an 8x10 enlargement was not noticable.
If you scout around, you can find a regular Focotar for between $100 and
$150- less if it needs cleaning, and then send it to Sherry- you won't be
disappointed!
Dan