Subject: Re: [Leica] Ambivalance & reality!
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 07:34:15 -0700

Lea wrote:
>>> I'm headed to NY this week for the Stationary Show but upon my return I
will be
> adding these images...the bad, the ugly and the good...to my site.<<<<<

Hi Lea,
A small word of advice from the old campaigner, "post only the good". ;-)
Forget the bad and uglies!  Never give anyone the opportunity to see those
you screwed-up on, because you always want them to see the great/good ones
leaving them thinking everytime you press the shutter you're an absolute
whiz of a picture taker. ;-)

Besides, if most are good and you put in uglies, that pulls down the overall
look of the complete set.Only illustrating on an overall bases you are
mediocre at best, "oh yeah he had a couple of good ones, but man did you see
the uglies?" And that's what they remember! Unfortunately is called human
nature.

And that my friend isn't the image of yourself as a photographer you ever
want to leave the viewer with.

So me old son,  ..... "good only"....... great for creating the image of
"you are a very good photographer. ;-) And along those thoughts, I used to
think I wanted to be the "world's greatest photographer!"

However,  I found out it's far more important in photographic life to be
recognized as ..........."being a dependable photographer" one editors know,
without question, they can send you on any assignment and you'll always come
back with good solid useable images!  And on occasion, you'll have a nice
diamond or two mixed in there some place.

And the diamonds build your reputation. They are the ones that get published
and the editors remember. And most important.  No photographer is so good
that he or she shoots 36 perfect pictures on a 36 exposure roll, no matter
how delusional the photographer is!

Oh yeah and it takes about 50 years experience as a working professional to
finally understand and accept that! :-) Have fun and only post good! :-)
ted

Replies: Reply from lea <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Ambivalance & reality!)
Message from lea <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Ambivalance)