Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Beat the Fungus
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:55:45 EDT

Don't modern lenses employ cements that are UV repellent?  If so, wouldn't
that prevent the healing rays from reaching fungi inside the lens?

Allen Zak

<<Hi,

>Apparently the fungi in lenses, etc. cannot survive exposure to UV light. In
>the past, when I lived in a hot high humidity area, I used to make sure that
>all lenses were regularly exposed, caps off both ends, to some good old
>daylight. I never had any problems. I have been told, but have no
>confirmation, that one can also use a UV tube to achieve this effect.
>Perhaps someone else on the list has tried this or knows what strength of UV
>and for what length of time would be required.

Makes sense. In clean room water supplies UV light is used to kill any
bacteria/fungi in the water. Dunno the intensity of the UV light, though.

Tom