Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions - 35 Summaron vs. Ultron vs....
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:28:18 -0500

I've used all three of the Leica lenses Summicron 35,
Summaron 35, and the Elmar 35.  They all make nice pics, but
I found the Summaron hard to focus on an M body, Something
about getting my fingers around to the little button.  The
Elmar has the same problem of scale on an M body. (Plus,
they're hard to find in good condition.)

If you aren't too particular about cosmetics, Summicron 35's
(non-asph.) are easy to find with good glass around US$500.
Of course they go up quickly from there.  I use my Summicron
as my number one lens.  I like it for the picture quality,
that you can use it for serious shooting or snaps, and the
ease of focus.

I recently sold a Summaron  M 2.8 in really nice shape for
$280.  The Ultron (which most users say is as good as the
Summi) goes for $425 new.  If the quality is as stated, and
you are not "investing" for investments sake, I'd pick
either the Ultron or the Summicron.

One other lens that you may want to consider is the
Summicron C 40mm.  It should fall into your price range too.
I've owned one of these, and it performed really well.  I
already had the 35 summi, so it was redundant and I sold it.

If possible, I'd also go somewhere that has these lenses,
and play with them.  The lenses have very distinct
personalities, and you really need to see if they work with
your hands, preferably on your camera.
Regards,

SonC
http://www.sonc.com

> >William Gower asked:
> > Lugers
> >
> > I'd be interested in hearing from folks (on-line or off)
who use or have
> > used both or are familiar with both lenses enough to
help guide me through
> > the purchase of one of these 35's.
> >
> > I'm looking at various flavors of 35's in the 350 to 450
range and have
> > found lots of choices, including a new Ultron 35/1,7 and
two versions of
> > Summaron - the 2,8 (M mount) and 3,5 (LTM). Even the
Elmar 35/3,5 is an
> > option, and the Cannon 35/2, although I haven't seen a
used one for over a

Message from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Opinions - 35 Summaron vs. Ultron vs....)