Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #40
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 01:17:41 -0700

At 10:29 PM 05/28/2001 -0700, Jay  wrote:
>To use your shot as an example:
>The left & right edges of the color version is fine, but when you try to
>look at the beggar, the eye is drawn away by the woman in red and the bright
>white shirt further right. Plus the red shelves. None of that adds anything
>to the message of the photograph - the beggar.
>In the B&W "version", things are better, your eye seeks out the middle of
>the photo easier, but the folks in white shirts need a little toning down.
>In either version, >I< would (note: That means me & me only!) crop severely
>and leave nothing but the beggar.
>But, I also would have pre-focused my 35 or 24, at 4 or 5.6 to make sure,
>and hit the shutter right in front of him as I dropped a few lira into his
>hat...

We're talking about http://www.2alpha.net/~pklein/italy/beggar.htm

Jay:  Everything that you say is reasonable.  But I don't agree, because it
isn't just a picture of a beggar--it's a picture of a beggar who looks like
he's out of the 19th century, and still nobody notices him.

Forgetting about the B&W vs. color issue, what about context?  I know we
often feel we have to crop mercilessly, and frankly, half the shots I take
with a 35 I later wish I'd taken with a 50.  BUT in this case I composed
the picture carefully as I saw him coming, and I didn't feel that I wanted
to crop much.  Notice how everyone's back is turned?  It shows the
indifference.

In the color version, I like all the brightly colored clothing and shop
windows contrasting with this bleak fellow in the center.  That you take a
moment to notice him makes you feel that same sense of indifference.  Maybe?

I still haven't decided which picture I like better.  The B&W is less
distracting and perhaps stronger, but it's also less like the reality--this
sad, dark figure in the midst of the tourist "carnival."

I didn't feel right about taking a picture of him as I gave him a few lire
(actually, I *did* give him something--afterwards).  The picture I saw was
about him and the crowd, not about him and me.

- --Peter