Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: heavy duty travel case
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:54:10 -0500

Ted,
With all due respect..( that's a phrase we use when we are
gonna disagree with someone) He described a kit that would
fit easily into a Domke little-bit-bigger bag.

Your suggestion that he "Make sure the shoulder bag has
enough film and stuff to get on with the assignment until
the "lost case" arrives or the replacement gear does." is
just not real world for the vast number of us who do not
even own four cases of equipment to get lost.

Better he take everything in a shoulder bag, and not worry,
I've traveled for years too, much of it on assignment, and
the best damn insurance available to anyone at any price is
to keep the cameras with you.

Regards,
SonC
http://www.SonC.com

Ted writes:
> Your "use a card board box suggestion" could be OK for
someone on a holiday,
> but working photographers don't go through this "agonizing
over cases" as
> some here .  At least the professionals I know who
regularly travel in their
> home country or abroad don't.
>
> Some of us who've been pros for many years and constantly
on the road around
> the world with piles of gear on assignments used
Haliburton and Pelican all
> the time. And on some flights 3 or 4 checked equipment
cases before personal
> bags.
>
> I can't imagine going through the cardboard box covered
with signs, "dirty
> clothes and dog excrement" routine at anytime. Sure stuff
disappears that's
> part of travelling life, but I always took the philosophy
of, "hey that's
> life get on with it and have the best damn insurance you
can buy on your
> gear!"
(snip)

> > >Hello there.  I'm going to be doing some heavy
> > >travelling and need either a Pelican or Halliburton
case to travel
> > >my equipment.  I needed some recommendations.  I will
be traveling
> > >1 Medium Format Body, 1 lens, 2 M's 2 lenses, a large
SLR and 2 lenses
> > >and the various other stuff that goes along with it.  I
was looking at
> > >the Pelican 1550 and a large Zero Halliburton but I
have no experience
> > >with either.  Any help would truly be appreciated.
These will also be
> > >checked in with baggage claim so heavy duty is the key.
Thanks. Gabe

Message from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: heavy duty travel case)