Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternative lenses
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:01:16 +0200

Ed,

I recently committed the supreme act of sacrilege and traded an old 50mm
Summilux for a new Voigtländer/Cosina 50mm Nokton. Partly because of Erwin's
evaluation of the latter compared to the former and partly because I could get a
good deal on both ends of the deal. I have also previously owned the 15mm
Heliar.

Both of these are fine lenses; they may not have the same build quality as the
Leica equivalents, but my Nokton is not far behind in this regard. How do they
do it? Economies of scale, greater production tolerances, whatever. As Ted said,
it does not really matter, as long as we are happy with the results.

Having said all this, if Leica ever does come out with a new 50mm Summilux I
will most likely buy it. But in the meantime the Nokton is serving me very well.

Nathan