Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternative lenses
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 19:17:30 -0700

Edward Mortimer wrote:
>>I know I'm gonna get a stoning from some of you just for mentioning this
but
here goes anyway.<<

Hi Edd,

> As we all know Voigtlander are now making M lenses and most reports I have
> seen rate them well. Has anyone used or owned one of these lenses?<<<<

Naw we don't do the stoning thing anymore, we do a little burning at the
stake, just to get you browned nicely, then we keel haul a few times and
finally make you read all the LUG archives on this subject 300 times or
until you can repeat it from memory. ;-)

But  Edd we might have to keel haul you an extra 13 times because it's not
Voigtlander manufacturing them, it's a Japanese firm, Cosina.

And if a guy approaches you by the name of  "Marc James Small" ..... run for
your life! :-) He really doesn't appreciate the wording of your post, re:
Voigtlander manufacturing ! ;-) Actually he's really a pussy cat of a guy in
disguise, but right now he's off on his honeymoon and will certainly be a, "
pussy cat Leica user " when he gets back. ;-) So don't worry too much. ;-)

However, many of us use the lenses manufactured by this company and I
believe the archives will illustrate there are many satisfied buyers, I for
one with the 15 for the M6.  Mine is a fine lens as I've had the opportunity
to compare it with my R8 Leica 15mm.

I wouldn't ask how >>>>> do they do it? <<<<<  Just be pleased that you can
pick-up lenses economically that will produce a very nice image on your
film.  Not Leica specific sharp/crisp, but still a pretty damn fine negative
or slide.

If you have an opportunity to buy, I wouldn't hesitate, as there are many of
us with excellent results.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant