Subject: re:[Leica] A Red Dot story
From: "Owen P. Evans" <opevans@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 10:44:24 -0400

Good day to one and all,
    As the subject matter of the original post by Paul Chefurka; I thought
that I would offer up a report on my Leica adventure which was had in
Manhattan, last weekend.
    It is evident that I am a long time lurker on this list as I have added
a few comments from time to time. I enjoy reading all of the photographic
adventures as well as feeling like I'm part of the comradeship which is
kindled herein. I think that I enjoy the fact that Leica shooters are so
enthusiastic about photography as well as mechanical and optical perfection.
It is a nice balance to enjoy the effort put forth in getting the picture
from the manufacturing to where the rubber meets the road (your hands with
rubber gloves ;-)  to the end product, whether in the chemical or digital
darkroom. Thankyou for sharing.
    I have used a lot of cameras over the past 40 years and realize that I
make the photo, not the camera. Being human ( debateable )
and enjoying a lot of the finer things in life ( whether I can afford them
or not! ) I have always coveted a Leica. I currently shoot with an F5 and a
Hassleblad 500C/M, and I am very satisfied with my resulting photos. I see
the world very well through these cameras and enjoy making photos with these
behemoths. Compared to an M6; my cameras are akin to a ball & chain. My
primary efforts are devoted to floral photography; tiny critters and
wildlife/birds. I have always wanted to make better people photos but alas,
I stink in this venue.
    I shot 5 rolls of 36 frames last weekend. I sneaked - up on people. I
waited for the right moment. I was blatant and got in people's faces on the
street. I even shot some pictures of buildings and landmarks. The end
result; I still stink at people photography. I do have some nice shots and I
have a couple of keepers. I threw away about 75% of the frames as they were
poor photos. I have no trouble changing film on the M6; I dislike the grip
as it caused me to stick my finger in the way of the rangefinder several
times; I dislike the focusing knob on the Summilux 35/1.4 Aspheric and the
camera still feels insecure in my hands. I LOVE the diminished weight around
my neck; I love the smoothness of all the mechanical parts; I love the
precision & accuracy and I am enamoured by the quiet shutter. If this were
my only camera; I would become more proficient with it. That said, I will
never own an M6 because I "see" a different picture. I don't shoot low light
people pictures. I never capture the moment. I use a tripod most of the
time. And I have big heavy cameras which fit very well in my hands. I don't
need an M6!
    I enjoyed the experience and I am thrilled that Paul offered me the
opportunity to experience M6 shooting. In my case, I respect the product but
can't use it. I will always remember the experience as it finally dispelled
the compelling need to own an M6. Now how much is that 120/4 Makro from
Zeiss????

Good light to you all,

Owen

Owen P. Evans