Subject: RE: [Leica] Photodo MTF ratings
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:19:28 -0400

Seth,

> Phil: I think your conjecture is exactly right. Lothar Kolsch, Leica's
> current chief of lens design, has clearly opted for optical design that
> favors optimum performance at full aperture.

Examining the photodo results a bit further shows that this is not the case.

For the Leica 35/1.4 asph-M, the numbers are as follows:

Weighted MTF for 35 mm: f1,4 0,54, f2 0,65, f2,8 0,75, f4 0,75, f8 0,83
Average Weighted MTF: 0,80 Grade: 3,8
Weighted MTF 10 lp/mm: 0,89
Weighted MTF 20 lp/mm: 0,75
Weighted MTF 40 lp/mm: 0,54

Compare this with the Canon EF 35/1.4L offering:

Weighted MTF for 35 mm: f1,4 0,61, f4 0,82, f8 0,81
Average Weighted MTF: 0,81 Grade: 4,0
Weighted MTF 10 lp/mm: 0,89
Weighted MTF 20 lp/mm: 0,78
Weighted MTF 40 lp/mm: 0,59

If these numbers are to be believed, the 35/1.4 asph actually excels at the
smaller f-stops, only bettering the Canon SLR lens at f8.  At f1.4, the asph
has a pretty dismal graph on the MTF chart.

Cf.:

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/LeSummilux-MAsph.35_1-267.shtml

and

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/detail/CaEF35_14LUSM-83.shtml