Subject: Re: [Leica] Photodo MTF ratings
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 09:46:50 EDT

In a message dated 6/2/01 9:15:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stiles@s-way.com
writes:

<< (Wide open performance does seem to be a major
 Leica difference.) Perhaps the ASPH lens performance is weighted to the
 wide open (where one would be using the lens), and the photodo average
 neglects this aspect. >>

Phil: I think your conjecture is exactly right. Lothar Kolsch, Leica's
current chief of lens design, has clearly opted for optical design that
favors optimum performance at full aperture. Erwin Puts has emphasized this
in his book. Leica wants to furnish users with lenses that can be used wide
open without fear of degradation in coverage of the full film frame. That
could imply that as lenses are stopped down, medium aperture performance
might not match stopped-down performance of other lenses not computed for
optimum performance at full aperture. Thus the Photodo average rating.

This current design philosophy is precisely what prompts my continued use of
the 40+ year-old rigid 7-glass 50 Summicron, described in an article in the
current VIEWFINDER magazine of LHSA.

Seth    LaK 9