Subject: [Leica] Delta 400 and Tri-x
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:01:00 +0100

Roland Tan enquired:
<<...
Recently
I was given two rolls of Delta 400. Can anyone help me with any information
before I try this film out? Other than processing information, how about
general characteristics etc.

Hi Roland,

So far I have used D400 with DD-X 1+4 (EI 500 to 1600), Resofine 2B (EI
400), DiXactol single bath (EI 400) and XTOL 1+1 and 1+3 (EI 800).

My impressions are that Delta 400 (not 400 Delta) has fine grain and high
toe speed (ie good shadow detail) but that highlight separation is the
problem with some developers. Maybe this is because of the two sensitive
layers in the emulsion behaving differently in different developers. Maybe.
The Resofine (a D23 two bath type with borax as the second bath) results
were very fine grained, but the curve seemed to rocket up from the shadows
into a big highlight shoulder - ie fantastic mid-tone contrast, but odd
highlight rendition. I'll try less exposure and hope the shadows stay there
next time I mix some Resofine. The DiXactol results were awfully sharp in
areas with plenty of detail but the grain was mealy and unpleasant in
even-toned areas. More experimentation required methinks.

So far I have been happiest with the DD-X  and XTOL results (no surprises
there). DD-X seems to be like Microphen, but smoother - ie not like
Microphen at all.

On the whole I like D400 as a smooth, fine-ish grained film in the EI 800 to
1600 range.

Though my foot has been nailed to the floor in the UK for the moment I hope
to be back out to Sing in the not-too-distant future.

Best Wishes,
Malcolm