Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:31:07 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/01 10:10:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, idag@pce.net
writes:

<<  It is only the future distribution, sale, or display of those images that
 would constitute any potential copyright infringement or potential legal
challenge. >>

What the artist/creator/owner of the intellectual property can prevent is the
commercial use of her creation as expressed in its tangible embodiment. This
is why non-commercial display and personal use are permitted. It is also why
tourists with snapshot cameras etc. are not viewed as threatening
reproduction for commercial use. This said, there is a considerable amount of
case law on just what constitutes commercial use.

That is why the professional photographer does indeed occasionally need
access to sound advice by a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property
law. Although I have practiced law for over 40 years, I do not consider
myself expert in this field. Call me for other stuff, like opinions on
Dual-Range Summicrons, legal ethics, Ferraris, writing implements, W.B.
Yeats, but not intellectual property!

Have happy weekends, y'all.            Seth        LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Copyright questions)