Subject: RE: [Leica] Scratched Lens - What to do....
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:27:37 -0400

I would suggest the following.  First, tell the seller of the scratches.
Providing he doesn't try to blame you for them (yes, that happens!), give
him the choice of either refunding you something, like $50...I don't know
what lense it is...so I don't know what's fair.  The seller's other option
is taking it back and giving you a full refund.  After all, he DID not
describe it accurately.

If you get no satisfaction from the seller, file an eBay "Fraud" complaint.
You are entitled to do so if the item you received is significantly
different than the seller described it.  You can get up to $175 back.  I
have had to do this to two sellers, and in both cases, I got my a refund of
some kind.  The thing that you really need to do is find someone
professional (someone with an official letterhead) who can write a letter
detailing what the discrepancy is, and giving an estimate of what the value
difference is.  I know it's a pain, but I found someone in who could do it
for me.  If you can do that, you are assured of getting some money back.

If you paid by credit card, just return the item, and if the seller doesn't
give you a full refund, dispute the charges.  Providing you have proof you
sent it back, they CC co. will give you the refund.  That has never failed
me, even when the seller refused the package...I still got my money back.
If the seller wants the package, they can come and get it.  I already paid
once to return it, and am not going to pay again.

I REALLY  hate it when sellers misrepresent items, whether intentional or
unintentional, and they try to make it my fault!  I got one Super Ikonta
that was described as 9.5...and had rust all on the inside, and a broken off
self timer lever.  Needless to say, I sent it back, and am expecting a full
refund.

There are a LOT of louse sellers on eBay right now, so be careful.  I've
stopped being "understanding" and really have been pressing for full refund,
including shipping, if it was really described wrong.  I also don't hesitate
to post negative feedback these days.  I still give them a chance to come
clean, and about 2/3rds of them do come to some agreement...but the ones
that don't, need to have others know, and feedback is the only mechanism.
Prepare for retaliatory feedback though...which is usually easily
deflected...like it was my fault the guy described the camera as a "Rollei
6008 Integral" and it was clearly (written on the side of it) a "6008
Professional".  Different camera, yet he somehow claimed it was my
fault...go figure.

Good luck!