Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Anarchist riots in Gothenburg
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:15:16 EDT

<<I hope I will not offend anyone when I say that these people are NOT
anarchists. Lawless anonymous hooliganism is not what anarchists want.
Please read about the anarchists of the Spanish Civil War; whether you agree
with their ideology or not, the sight of all the peoples of Europe united
against a common fascist enemy was an amazing bright light of humanity in a
very dark century.

John Collier

Thank you for the link to the pictures; and, yes I am familiar with how
other factions (Communist) in the  Republican side decided it was better to
"win" the ideological war and lose the real one.>>

Since this is off-topic, I will be brief.  There is no justification for the
above comment.  All parties involved in the Spanish Civil War against Franco
fought to win.  There were differences in ideology and strategy among them,
but if anyone can be accused of trying to "win" the ideological war and lose
the real one, it would be the anarchist leadership, in particular Cipriano
Mera, who turned their forces against their fellow defenders of the Republic
during the closing agonies of that conflict.  But by then it didn't matter.
Spain was betrayed by the democratic governments of the world who should have
supported it most.

The true facilitators of the Falangist victory were Nazi Germany and Fascist
Italy, with the assistance and encouragement of Britain, France and the
United States of America.  The "democratic" members of that coalition imposed
an embargo against beligerants in that war and allowed the Germans and
Italians to enforce it.  That meant Franco was supplied and the Republic was
strangled.  Only the Soviet Union (and Mexico) braved the blockade to supply
the anti-fascists with military equipment, and Communists world-wide
organized volunteers to fight for the Republic.

Whatever the sins of the Communist International, and they were many, In
Spain the Communists behaved with valor and distinction.  Gratuitous slaps
like the above depend on most people knowing little or nothing about one of
the greatist tragedies of the 20th century.

This will be my only post on this topic.  If anyone wishes to communicat
further, please take it to me off list.

Allen Zak

Replies: Reply from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: Re: [Leica] Anarchist riots in Gothenburg)