Subject: [Leica] One reason for not allowing cameras in stores etc...
From: "Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:27:32 -0500

I am trying to remember where I heard or read this, might have been in a
retailing class or business law in college or as part of an TV investigative
news show....  Anyhow,

If I remember right, one reason malls and stores are hesitant to allow
people to use cameras and especially video cameras is to protect themselves
from fraudulent lawsuits.

The idea is, one partner spills a glass of Sprite or liquid on the floor, or
they find a step or a mat or something where they can stage an accident.   A
second party falls down and "injures" themselves.  A third takes a picture
of the spill afterwards or just happens to be videotaping their friend at
the moment the "accident" happens.

The injured party files suit claiming so and so was negligent in keeping
high traffic areas clean etc, etc.. etc.... and they have photos or video
tape to prove it..... besides other un-related witnesses who saw them fall.
So they will probably settle out of court for damages...

If they go to court, the business has to come up with something to show they
weren't negligent and fighting against photos or a video tape of the
accident is an up-hill battle that is much harder to win, so they are much
more likely to settle out of court.

So.... Even if the local guards don't know or won't say it..... If I
remember right, this one of the main underlying reasons for no photos and
video-tape in malls etc.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador: