Subject: [Leica] Re: WAS: shutter speed on an O series? now, BEING PRACTICAL! ;-)
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:52:13 -0700

Tristan Tom wrote:
>I don't agree. The lens on the Series-O yields a certain different quality
>that evokes photographs from yesteryear. A quality unreproduce-able with
>another camera regardless of who the photographer is.<<<

Hi Tristan,
The lens may create a look, but the content has to still be seen and
recorded through the action of the photographer, the lens only moves the
image to the film. And in the case of the photographs on the site, they are
shot in similar surroiundings as pre WW 2, so therefore they have a "look of
a by gone era!" And that aspect has absolutely nothing to do with the "O"
lens.

And as I said before, an M6 with an early 30's lens adapted to fit the M6,
will create a more realistic vintage image than the "O,"  if you are in
Paris, Berlin or any European village that will look like  pre-war Europe .

The "O" is nothing more than a sales gimmick by Leica to garner a few bucks
from the economically inclined, simply because the practicality of the
camera is absolutely zero. It's a toy for those inclined to pay the bucks
for expensive toys.:-)

And we all know Leica owning photographerrs are suckers for things of this
nature. ;-)
ted