Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Re: M Purity/B&W
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:58:19 -0400

on 6/26/01 2:30 PM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>> I don't know how to describe it. Tri-X has grain. T400CN doesn't.
>
> I'd assume T400CN has die clouds?

yeah but they're pretty hard to see. whether that's because they're small or
because they have diffuse edges I dunno. But you don't see anywhere near as
much noise on the scanned image, that's all I can really say.

>> I've
>> never tried to develop Tri-X for very fine grain. It works best by
>> exploiting it's edge effect via its grain structure. Trying to develop
>> conventional grained film (Tri-X, Plus-X, etc.) in a "fine grain"
>> developer
>> produces unsharp results.
>
> I've been using D-76 1:1 for ever, and I get very sharp results with
> "reduced" grain, and I really like the results.  I did not like Microdol
> 1:3.

I think Jim is right that as soon as you try to make Tri-X fine grained you
lose sharpness. In Xtol it is downright mushy. The best results in terms of
grain I have had with Tri-X have been D76 straight followed by an alkali
bath, and D23. But as you say D76 1:1 seems to get everything right.

> I'll pick up a few rolls of T400CN and see how it scans compared to Tri-X.
> I can scan at 5080, so that should give me something pretty good to look at.

They look *very* different. The biggest hassle for me with the chromogenic
films has been getting a tonality I like. You'd think you'd be able to pull
them into shape with a photoshop curve that gives them more of a toe and
shoulder but it's much harder than it sounds. whereas you shoot with TX,
APX, Neopan or HP5 and the tonality is right there for you. Not as accurate
but more pleasing, like a distorted les paul!
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Re: M Purity/B&W)