Subject: Re: [Leica] another two weeks in leica m3 hell!
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 22:01:36 -0400

George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net> wrote:

> mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com (Mark Rabiner)7/3/0110:42 AM
>
>> Everybody wants to be H C B . . .
>> But Nobody wants to use a Fif-Tee.
>
> I love the 50 and it sure looks like Anthony likes the 50 and
> uses it very well.

After 20+ years of using 35s and 90s and only on occasion anything else I've
been seduced over the past year by 50s. First it was an LTM f/3.5 Elmar I
found years ago in a local shop and bought on a whim. After a test roll I
put it away and kinda forgot about it. But early last year I tried it again
on my M2...and didn't take it off for months. In fact I loved it so much I
picked up a IIIf to give it a permanent home. This little combo goes pretty
much wherever I go. Then last fall I bought a lovely DR Summicron from a
fellow LUGger. This pushed me over the edge. Right now on the M2 I'm using
the DR 75% of the time, with the 35 and 90 competing for the remainder. I
even bought a 50 f/1.2 for my Pentax SLR system so I could experiment with
limited DOF at this focal length. Much fun! Though I'm not fond of the
Noctilux's bulk and weight (and wince at its price tag) I suspect there'll
be one in my future anyway. <g>

My trick with using the 50 on my M2 is to pretend I'm using a 35. Often I
even switch in the 35 framelines while I'm composing a shot. Then instead of
moving in closer to get tighter framing I just let go of the frameline lever
and I'm already there!

- -Dave-