Subject: [Leica] M3 "Hell", some things for Kyle to consider.
From: Tom Bryant <boffin@gis.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 101 20:26:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Luggers:

    Kyle wrote:

> just got off the phone with ye not-local camera fix it shoppe and they
> dumped the bad news on me that it will be at least 2 more weeks before
> they can fix the vertical alignment on my M6 -- which means i'm stuck with
> this M3 for that much longer.....

> it's sitting on the chair next to me right now -- it LOOKS nice -- but i
> miss my light meter, and my framelines and my rewind crank and my flash
> sync. i'm finding myself not so inspired by the camera as i used to be.
> i've had the same roll of film in there for a week.

> i really need something to kick start life at 50mm.... i guess that's the
> big thing -- i never used the 50mm lens before. i'm finding the focal
> length restritive and unappealing....

> ah. what to do....

   Many have responded, and I'll also jump into the ring.

   Kyle, here's what to do:

       1) Pick up the M3.  Look through the view finder.  KEEP LOOKING WITH
          THE OTHER EYE.  Notice how easy this is.  You can use both eyes with
          the M3.  I can't do it with any other leica, although the M6 0.85
          comes close.

       2) Focus on something, preferable a person's eyes.  Focus on the right
          eye first, and then the left.  Notice that you can do this unless
          the person is looking directly at you.  This rangefinder sensitivity
          results in better focus control, and it's harder in other Leicas.

   Note that sync adapters are available, I bought mine on eBay for $15.00, or
   you can have Sherry install standard pc sync outlets as part of an overhaul.

   Now's the time to learn that an incident meter is significantly more
   accurate than a reflected meter.  I haven't used an in camera meter for
   years...

   Hey, M3s are super machines.  Enjoy.

   Tom