Subject: Re: [Leica] developers
From: Phil Stiles <stiles@s-way.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 15:58:07 -0400

what film/developer
> combinations do you fellows use, to get a guy started?

Well, we all have our opinions, but I would recommend Xtol 1:1, for all
the usual reasons: speed, grain, acutance. I use it with Neopan 1600 and
get less grain than Tri-X, shooting at an e.i. of 1200.
Then there's Ilford's Ilfotec DD-X. I've done A-B tests with Delta 3200
in each, and it's hard to tell the difference. Might be more convenient.

I must confess, I shoot a lot of XP-2, because I have a one hour lab
that's owner operated, and gives me nice clean, scratch-free negatives.
It has nice tonality, and the grain of 100 with the speed of 400, with
tremendous latitude.

The classic advice is just stick with one or two combos until you really
learn their characteristics in your equipment, shooting with your style.
Phil Stiles

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/ilfotecd.pdf

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j109/j109.shtml