Subject: Re: [Leica] .58VF & 90mm
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:00:51 -0400

Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu> wrote:

> Something you might also consider is the focusing twist - I
> have found that on low-mag finders, the less twist a lens
> takes to go from 1m to infinity the faster focusing is.  I think
> that part of it is that if the twist is too slow, you agonize
> about trying to line up the spot perfectly. With a lens that
> "snaps" in, I find that I get a lot more shots.  With a 90/2.8
> you can get away with it.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy using the 60 Elmarit as a standard lens
on my SLRs. It goes from infinity to 0.5m with a 90º turn, whereas with the
50 Summicron R it takes a 270º turn to accomplish the same thing. Give me
the opportunity to be fiddly about focus and I'll make the most of it. <g>

- -Dave-