Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 23:09:27 -0400

A Leica Shooter <shooter@linux-info.net> wrote:

> I have never really liked the 50 which is the main reason why I am
> considering the 75.  Why do people love the 50 so much?  Why
> do you say you would never give up the 50?  Can someone
> explain to me why the 50 is considered such a wonderful lens?

I've come to love the 50 because of its versatility and also because of the
wonderful imaging qualities of the 50s I've picked up within the last few
years (f/3.5 Elmar, DR Summicron, Summicron-R, f/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar). For a
long time I was mainly a 35mm guy (Summicron and Summaron) but recently I've
been gravitating toward longer lenses. You can use a 50 like a 35 (just back
up a bit) or like a 75 (just move in a bit). I guess I'm shifting from a
"get it all in" approach to something more like "include only what's
necessary." In another decade my standard lens could well be the Doug Herr
Special (400 Telyt). :-)

Oddly enough the other two RF focal lengths I've been using this spring &
early summer are 21mm and 135mm, both on a "new" M3 (the 50 is on my trusty
M2). Until recently I never found much use for either of these FLs, but the
M3 makes a 135 more practical and the 21 makes for a nice challenge after
using the longer glass.

- -Dave-

Replies: Reply from "A Leica Shooter" <shooter@linux-info.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...)
Message from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com> ([Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...)