Subject: [Leica] Re: Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:32:18 +0100

Acording to Erwin the Nokton is sharper in the field than the Summilux,
which is better on axis and more flare resistant. My Nokton does not flare
noticably but its boke is nowhere near the summilux. I don't use it anymore.
I consider boke of importance in fast lenses because with most subjects shot
wide open the majority of the frame will be OOF and if that is distracting
it may detract srom the sharp subject.
I am also slightly concerned by the consistency of the Cosina/Voigtlander
lenses. One of the sacrifices likely in reducing the price is in mechanical
precision (not feel - they feel superb) this may account for the varied
opinions LUGgers have voiced on the C/V lenses. I find my 15mm stunning but
others have criticised theirs. I am not particularly criticising C/V lenses
her, I believe most lenses cheaper than Leica lenses have significant
variations in performance one to another. A friend who was a top motor
racing photographer using Nikon 25 years ago used to hand select his lenses
by trying all in stock on film. The difference between the best and least
good was NOT small.
cheers Frank