Subject: Re: [Leica] was Q for the 75 now 75 or 80
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 11:54:06 -0500

George,

At 09:57 AM 7/9/01 -0500, you wrote:
 >Could those of you who've had experience with both the M 75
>Summilux and the R 80 Summilux please comment re:
>    Sharpness
>    Bokah
>    Focus
>        quickness, etc.
>
>I don't believe that I'll ever find enough $ for both, and I feel
>like i'm on a teeter totter when ever discussion of either comes
>up. I want which ever one ya'll are talking about at the time.

 I have owned the M 75 and sold it as I didn't care for the feel of it on
the M.  It was very stiff and hard to focus.  However, I have had the
80/1.4-R and love it.  Before I sold my R stuff I had both the 80/1.4 and
the 35/1.4. I now am again with the R8 and a 35/1.4.  I will again get the
80 as it was, for me, very easy to use.  I understand that it focuses from
infinity to nearest focus with  one half a revolution. (I just posted a
question about this on the LEG asking a comparison on focus quickness with
the 100/2.8 from 8/1o's of a meter to infinity. Bill in Denver  told me
that it was two complete revolutions - Pascal informed me that the 80 was
just a half a revolution).

It is sharp lens with very smooth out of focus areas.  I found it quite
fast to use in low light with the R8 and obtained photos I would not have
been able to focus fast enough with the 75 on the M.  It is a lot easier to
focus with the R8 and ground class screen than it is with the M.  Just my 2
cents.  I am going to buy another pretty soon.

Dick Hemingway
Plano, TX

(born barely in Detroit of Canadian parents in 1927 - they tore down the
hospital after that!! Started messing with photography and developing film
etc when I was about 8 or 9 and have been at ever since.  First camera was
a Retina 1, started shooting Kodachrome  without a meter of range finder.
Used Nikon from about 1960 to early 80's and Leica ever since.  Have lived
in San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Waco, Richardson [when there were 1600
people there and nothing on the west side of central - worked for a title
company going to law school and put on the first subdivision west of
central in Richardson] Plano, and Lubbock, Texas, also Boulder, Co., and
Norman, Ok.  Been back in Plano for the last 2 1/2 years)