Subject: [Leica] Re: Where We Post From (My Own View)
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:04:13 -0700 (PDT)

Robert D. Baron wrote:

After waiting 24 hours to watch the furor rise and subside, I wonder:

- - ---what would have been the response if instead of saying "Was a
photojournalism major at U of Iowa in the early '60's; then went to law
school to avoid working and/or the draft" I had used  "postpone" or
"delay" in place of "avoid"?

I find the responses to my post and the subsequent posts fascinating.
Each straight and true from his or her own frame of reference.  As it
should be.

Reminds me of the time when some old guys in England were reminiscing
in a pub about their experiences during the war and the outfits they
were in. I happened to mention that my uncle was a consciencious
objector but, before I could complete the story, they seemed to
explode. Their reactions were extreme and I thought one vitriolic old
feller was going to have a fit! If my uncle had been there I think he
would have been tarred and feathered.

When I was finally able to get a word in edgeways, I explained that,
although he objected to an offensive role, he was no coward and
actually volunteered to be posted on a minesweeper - not exactly a safe
occupation! This took the wind out of their sails.

Regards,

=====
Ray