Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG: automation vs. the brain
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 18 Jul 2001 14:54:58 -0700

On Wed, 18 July 2001, shino@ubspainewebber.com wrote:

> the argument that computer
> technology has improved our lives is much overwrought, with the general
> exception of the internet, and the specific exception of the LUG!!

Also computer-aided lens design, mass-produced aspherical lens elements, automotive engine controls (reducing smog), Photoshop and the LightJet 5000, Piezography, mini K14 labs, and many more examples if I get a chance to think about it... there are those who disagree with some of these examples but it's sufficient to say that computer technology has had enourmous benefits in many areas we hardly pay any attention to.

I agree that change is not nessesarily progress but blindly turning our backs on change is as foolish as accepting change without questioning it.  Meanwhile I'm quite happy using my old mechanical Leicaflex SL.

Doug (what, me change?) Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe