Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M (what's the benefit?)
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:45:23 +0200

B. D. Colen writes:

> Where did all this feeling "it must neglect"
> the "cash cow of the M series" come from?

From the fact that Leica is small and cannot reallocated thousands of employees
to one project without stopping another.  This isn't Matsushita.

> What's quite obvious here is that you don't
> like the idea of digital ...

I think digital is great--I've been using computers all my life, and I know all
about the advantages of digital.  But I know better than to jump into something
that isn't yet up to par.  When I can get results from digital that are
identical to or better than film at the _same price_, and without _any other
change whatsoever_ in my workflow or hardware investment, then I'll consider
switching.  In the meantime, I'll let the pioneers suffer.

> ... and you don't like the idea of Leica going
> digital because you're afraid they'll DROP the
> M line...

Absolutely.  They can't do everything at once, and my interest in Leica is in
the M series.  No M series, no reason to buy anything from Leica anymore.

> But there is no evidence they would drop the M
> line ...

Unless they have billions of dollars in the bank, they'd have to find the money
and resources for digital experiments somewhere.

> ... and, I would argue, adding a really good
> digital body to that line would increase the market
> for the M substantially....

Why does the market have to be increased?  It is only necessary to break even or
show a profit; 35% growth each year really isn't necessary, and it sometimes
brings unwanted changes.

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] digital M (what's the benefit?))
Message from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] digital M (what's the benefit?))
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] digital M (what's the benefit?))