Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Leica and reality
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:50:34 +0200

Frank Filippone writes:

> This requires a sensor of size 1.5 BILLION
> pixels.  Mr Leica Engineer can calculate
> this number precisely.

35 million pixels would be enough for even the better Leica lenses, under ideal
conditions, and on tripods.  Nothing requires 1.5 billion pixels.  Most of your
reasoning and premises are incorrect.

For full-frame viewing at normal distances, six to eight million pixels is
sufficient.  You only need more if you are going to look more closely, or if you
crop and enlarge.

> This is not to say that Leica will not have a
> more sophisticated digital camera than the Digilux,
> but rather that the quality of Leica glass can not
> today, nor maybe within our lifetimes, be actually
> CAPTURED using digital sensor techniques.

Digital techniques are quite capable of profiting from Leica glass--it's just
that nothing currently _affordable_ can do this, not even the professional
cameras.  It's technically no great obstacle, but the practical commercial
implementation just isn't there yet.