Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Steve Hickel" <smhickel@iserv.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:06:33 -0400

I use the Nikon SCS4000ED. I like it. I can't tell if I have this B&W grain
aliasing problem. What exactly do you look for?

A few comments re: scanner above and B&W. I note that I can not use the ICE
feature of the scanner that works so well with color print film. I get a
blackened iimage that appears unuseable at least on the screen, maybe it
would print ok, but it looked so disgusting that I didn't try. I use the
Nikon 3.1 version of their software. When I scan at 4000dpi I note too that
I can blow up (on the screen) up to about 600%, maybe more before I start to
see pixelization on my monitor.

I am still trying to figure out what analog gain does for me and the curves
and the unsharp mask and so I don't use them. I also note that the prints
(2000P) always print lighter than whats on my screen, so if I barely have
shadow detail on the monitor (MAG DJ530) I can be sure that I will have more
on the print. (I do find that it is important to stick with the Epson papers
made for the printer).

If I open another program while scanning in a larger file (3mb or larger)
the program will close on me. So, I must keep the Scan 3.1 software in the
foreground while scanning, which is a bummer, because I like to browse the
web while waiting on it. So, now I get up and do something else while I wait
the minute or two.

I had to put 640mb of memory in my machine before the Scan 3.1 software
really started to work fast and efficiently. I could tell this by looking at
my task list program caching info on the graph tab. She hums now!

I must admit that an R8 or M6 color negative (or B&W too) in combo with the
Nikon 4000 and Epson 2000P is a powerful darkroom. I don't use photoshop,
rather MS PhotoDraw. I am very pleased with this archival system of print
making. I can't stop using it. It is making me go back through all the years
of negatives (haven't hit the slides yet) and I am pleased to find that I
have lots of negatives to go through and it helps bring back the memories
too.

You know, when I scan in at the Custom setting for the 2000P printer, I can
even print an A3 size print that show no sign of digitalization. Something
about the 720lpi? or max resolution of the printer is still less than the
2.1Mb files that I create at that custom setting.

Any, this has staved off a true digital camera for several years to come now
because the combo of film, Leica, Nikon 4000, and Epson 2000 is enough for
me and I do like the results.

Steve