Subject: Re: [Leica] More Q's about Tech Pan
From: shino@ubspainewebber.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:20:56 -0400 (EDT)

> From: William Gower <w.gower@home.com>
>
> Two Q's re: recent discussions about Technical Pan:
>
> 1. The film is somewhat thinner than other films (i.e. 4.3 mils vs. 4.7 mils
> for TMX and TX) - would this affect the manner in which the film sits on the
> pressure plate ?

no, i don't think so because the front of the film will be at the focal
plane.  the pressure plate is designed to accomodate different thicknesses.

> 2. The Kodak technical publication warns " Load in complete darkness". Why ?
> Does the anti-halation coating behave similar to Kodak HIE and sucks in
> stray photons ?

the P255 does indeed say exactly what you claim:

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/p255/p255.shtml

  STORAGE AND HANDLING

  Load and unload your camera in total darkness. Do not use a safelight.

  High temperatures or high humidity may produce unwanted quality
  changes. Store unexposed film at 75 (24) or lower in the  original
  package. Always store film (exposed or unexposed) in a cool, dry place. For
  best results, process film as soon as possible  after exposure.

i think it's some kind of mistake in transposing a sentence from the processing
part of  the document.  i've never loaded the camera in complete darkness, and
never had to worry about fogging, etc.  but someone may correct me!