Subject: Re: [Leica] OT-Large format lens & shutter
From: Pablo Kolodny <pkolodny@fibertel.com.ar>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:53:47 -0300

on 28/7/01 12:05 PM, Charles Harris at charles@charlesharris.com wrote:

> I just got a Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 lens for my Linhof. Fast! Bright!
> Very cool. Warm actually. That's the thing, while the glass is very clean
> and blemish free, it's rather yellow in color. I ran some E6 to see exactly
> how it will render on film, but I won't see it till Monday. I don't mind a
> bit of warmth so if the color is pleasant I won't be too concerned about
> that aspect. However, I am concerned about it's long term affect. Such as
> resale or a continued yellowing of the lens. Can any of you optical gurus
> tell me about yellowing? What causes it? Age I presume. What harmful effects
> may it have? Will it get worse? Etc. I have a two week return period, should
> I consider sending it back? Again, if the film test isn't hideous, I don't
> mind a bit of extra warmth.
>
> According to the serial # and Schneider's web site, the lens is from around
> 1955! Original leather lens caps and case. I'm not so fond of the shutter,
> an old Compur. What's the story with Prontor shutters? From what I've seen,
> they seem to be the answer to someone like me that can hardly remember to
> open, close, cock, set aperture, and all those other annoying view camera
> operations. I'm spoiled by the M6, it's a tiny bit easier. Any shutter info
> would be great.
>
> From what I've seen so far, the bokeh is great. Imagine 2.8 on a 4x5, very
> lucious OOF area. Creamy smooth. Exceptionally bright ground glass viewing.
>
> charles h

Charles,

Just enjoy that new old baby...don't worry about anything.
Just look at your plates when you take them back from the lab and watch them
carefully all along from left to right and top to bottom.
I love Xenotars, IMO very alike to some Leica glasses...I have one on my
Rollei 3,5F and also one like yours onto a Linhof Technika lensboard....
Even if the shutter needs repair is cheap to fix those oldies.

Go out ant take some plates...

Regards

Pablo