Subject: [Leica] Scanning thoughts
From: "Roy Feldman" <royfel@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 23:38:28 -0400

In terms of buying scanners you should be thinking of the output you need.
If you are working with an inkjet (Epson) the max size (Super A3) you will
need can come from a 2700 ppi scanner. After some pretty careful testing any
rez over 200 dpi given to an inkjet is wasted ( Pizeography is an exception
to this because Cone has overwritten the stepper motor driver). So a print
that will fill a 13"X19" page with a little border works out to around
28 megs which is the 2700's output. The attraction of the 4000 scanners (I
have the polaroid 120) for me is the the ability to do 120, the great
density range, bigger scans make retouching and image manipulation more
precise. Every (press) printer (seemingly no matter what line screen they
are using) wants every print 300dpi. It is important to remember that
scanners scan PPI, inkjets print DPI the two are not interchangable.
The point ... don't buy more then you need. I work with a Hell Gertag drum
scanner, Polaroid 120 and Agfa T2500. More times than not I will use the
Agfa for inkjets cos---thats all I need. Not everyone has to jump on the
4000 dpi band wagon.
A note on digital, after reading Erwins note about how film lenses would
suffer on a digital camera I was throughly convinced. Then I received a D1X
and I'm not convinced- you guys should see the images it produces-wow.
Roy Feldman
Digital Imaging
Ford Photographic
rfeldma1@ford.com