Subject: Re: [Leica] Best Infrared filter for Noctilux??
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:32:40 -0700

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Hey, using the sunny 16 rule that is .....
>
> F16 at 1/4 of a second or...............
>
> F1 at 1/500..... so what else do you want!  Wide open Nocti!
>
> Frank Filippone
>
> I use an 87 opaque
> filter for IR because I want the maximum filtering of light.  However, this
> does make the film really slow (i.e. ASA 4-7 for nominally 100 Macophot IR
> film).

I was flipping though a photo magazine the other day and they had done a whole
compared test of all the IR films.
All i recall is that the Kodak did not look a whole lot better than the other
options. It might have looked a bit worse then a few.
Wish i could recall which magazine it was but it should be this months issue.
I just got a very dark and expensive red filter for my Leica M6 this year for
the purpose of getting into IR but never followed through.
A glance at that article makes me inclined to just go with the much easier to
handel Ilford SFX which is kind of a borderline true IR film. But the results
are shown to compare very well with all the others. He shot the same scene with
all the films.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA