Subject: Re[6]: [Leica] Salgado
From: Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:28:28 +0100

Hi Greg,

it is the point of the photographs, but I don't think it was
necessarily the point of the TV programme. The point of the programme
was presumably to introduce the book and photos to a wider audience
than they might otherwise have got. Presumably John Berger was roped
in to provide some sort of art-critical background - which imo he
failed to do - and to act as a foil to Salgado, allowing him to talk
the audience through the work.

Other than giving us a potted intro to the nasty side globalism (which
was a reasonable thing to do, and reasonably well done in the
circumstances) all Berger did was talk unfathomable crap and have way,
way too many lingering shots of his craggy face screwed up with concern
as he turned pages over, leaving Salgado to take refuge in another sip of
schnapps whenever JB muttered something unintelligible. I really don't
think Berger knew what to say about the photographs.

- ---

 Bob

mailto:bob@web-options.com

"If it's sunny, try f16;