Subject: [Leica] Re: hero worship
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:09:28 +1000

Summicron1@aol.com wrote:

>The tool is 5 percent. He is the other 95. Whoever does his printing deserves
>a hunk of that 95 percent as well. As one who labors long in the dark, I know
>how much a difference that makes as well.

Which is why I am always uneasy about the (let's be frank about it)
fawning which goes on w.r.t. HCB or Salgado.  Every time you see one
of "their" images, you are really looking at the work of often unamed
technicians.  After all, any moron in monkey-cam-mode can click-click-
click and strike heroic photographer-like poses... it takes a true
visual artist however (working alone in a darkroom or with a scanner)
to turn a B&W or colour negative into a final magnificent image.

No matter how much of a head-case Eugene Smith was, he at least
created the entireity of his images - from the inital click to
the final, dry-mounted print.  Ditto Ansel Adams or Kertesz.
I admire them for this.

<CONTROVERSY>
A photographer who doesn't do their own printing is just like
a painter who only does the intial sketches and leaves the
brushwork up to someone else...
</CONTROVERSY>

:?)

Regds,