Subject: [Leica] M6 correction lens
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:30:17 -0700

I have a slight argument to make with regard to "take your correction
and subtract -.5 from it."  The argument goes this way: if I am
comfortable looking through the unmodified M6 viewfinder while
wearing my glasses, then I should be equally comfortable with a
correction lens of the same strength as my glasses.

When I was buying a correction lens at Keeble and Shuchat (a mistake,
I might add.  They charged me $99.  The B & H price, I discovered too
late, is $72.), I simply looked at the distant scene through my
glasses and rapidly switched between my glasses and the correction
lens to see if the eye accommodation seemed to be the same.  The
clerk objected, saying that the lens had to be screwed into the
camera.  He was so insistent that I had to shut him up by telling him
that I'm a physicist and know a wee bit about optics.

Change of subject:  The same clerk made me exchange two 3 volt
lithium batteris for four 1.5 volt silver oxide batteries.  They were
intended for the M6 and a Nikon FE2.  This guy insisted that the Li
batteries were wrong for both cameras.  I subsequently phoned Leica
and was told that the Li was preferred because of long shelf life.  I
then phoned Nikon and was told that they were both ok, totally
interchangeable.  So much for the wise guys at K & S.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org