Subject: [Leica] Carping Cheapies <he grins>
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 19:19:13 -0400

At 03:30 PM 8/14/01 -0700, Herbert & Lee Kanner wrote:
>When I was buying a correction lens at Keeble and Shuchat (a mistake,
>I might add.  They charged me $99.  The B & H price, I discovered too
>late, is $72.), I simply looked at the distant scene through my
>glasses and rapidly switched between my glasses and the correction
>lens to see if the eye accommodation seemed to be the same.  The
>clerk objected, saying that the lens had to be screwed into the
>camera.  He was so insistent that I had to shut him up by telling him
>that I'm a physicist and know a wee bit about optics.
>
>Change of subject:  The same clerk made me exchange two 3 volt
>lithium batteris for four 1.5 volt silver oxide batteries.  They were
>intended for the M6 and a Nikon FE2.  This guy insisted that the Li
>batteries were wrong for both cameras.  I subsequently phoned Leica
>and was told that the Li was preferred because of long shelf life.  I
>then phoned Nikon and was told that they were both ok, totally
>interchangeable.  So much for the wise guys at K & S.

Whoa, Herb!

You waste these folks time long enough to gripe and complain and stammer
angrily that you ARE a physicist, and then moan because B&H charges you $27
less for a precision item?

Think again, brother.  B&H doesn't GIVE advice:  they take orders.  You pay
more by buying at your local store, but you also enjoy the pleasure you
undoubtedly felt at both reminding them that you ARE a physicist, and the
even greater <and secret> pleasure of BEING RIGHT on the battery point.

Heavens, man.  Spare Keeble & Shuchat your custom and go straight to B&H.
I'd love to read the transcripts of your telephone calls there when you
start your whinging ways!  Hint:  that "click" is them hanging up.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!