Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: printing hero
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:59:54 -0400

on 8/15/01 3:34 AM, christian becker at polylux@gmx.co.uk wrote:

> So if Brian and I would print one of my negs I would bet Brians prints would
> be marvelous, but mine would reflect my view and therefore be the only
> relevant one. Take it or leave it.
> On the other hand I could take Brian's negs as a source and find very
> different pictures in them. Mine. My printing, my view.

but that's only one view of creativity -- the artist as auteur

maybe Brian will see something more wonderful in your pictures than you can

we don't insist that a composer's performance of their own work is the only
'relevant' one

Would WICHITA LINEMAN have been better if Jimmy Webb had sung it?

Is Willie Nelson's version of CRAZY superior to Patsy Cline's?

Would THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS have been a better movie if Sandy
McKendrick had stepped aside and let Ernie Lehmann direct it?

As a filmmaker you learn very quickly that collaborations with other
talented people can produce better art than you are capable of alone

(and I say that as a fully paid-up control freak)

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205