Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop edit darker than it looks
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:39:54 -0400

on 8/17/01 5:07 AM, Mxsmanic at mxsmanic@hotmail.com wrote:

> Even on Macs, which have a far more
> advanced system of color management than PCs, I don't think there are any
> browsers that take advantage of that to correctly display images on the screen
> (?).

IE5 on the Mac is colorsync-savvy. Stuff I pump out of Photoshop always
looks exactly the same in Explorer on my machine. With this and a
calibration page on your website you can have a reasonable idea of how
images will look on target machines if people can be bothered to check their
calibration.

the biggest problem is the issue of 1.8 v 2.2 gamma. If I was sensible I
would output everything in gamma 2.2 so it displays correctly on
non-color-managed windows systems. However I always work in 1.8 and always
have, so the vast majority of the images on my site are in gamma 1.8. To
change now would be disastrously difficult!

a legacy problem

however most of my images are correctly tagged with profiles so I just hope
one day color management catches up with PC folk.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205