Subject: Re: [Leica] Canadian 35mm Summilux
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 06:06:54 -0700

Stewart Weir wrote:
>>but just wondered whether Canadian glass is more prone to problems than
'German'? 3. I picked up both for £1175. Body is spotless apart from winder
wear on body and lens is as described. Was my impulse buy a good one? 4.
Canadian v's German Summilux. Any difference on performance? I have not been
able to find any info on Canadian leica 35mm summilux's! <<<

Hi Stewart,
Answers from a Canadian Leica user of the lens you purchased. Your impulse
was a good buy both for body and lens, you wont go wrong with either and if
you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell them for more than what you paid.

I've used the 1.4 35 Summilux Canadian made for countless thousands of
exposures since 1967, it's still in use and will probably be for many more
thousands.

As far as there being any difference Canadian to German manufacture, there
isn't any, they are identical. Fear not, Canadians' do know how to
manufacture equal to the Germans. ;-) We did make the Noctilux f.1.0 ! ;-)

As far as cleaning the lens?

Give this a try before spending money to have someone else do it. Just
breath heavily on it to create a fogging and use a very soft cloth,
something like the seat of a well worn pair of cotton undershorts and give
it a good circular rub softly and this should do it.

Make sure you blow any dust or what may appear as grit off the glass first
before the heavy breathing and with the gentle rub it should make it like
new.

Welcome to the club of  Leica crazies and please stay on board as you can
have any and all Leica questions answered here. Certainly by those more
technically inclined than I.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant