Subject: [Leica] Military acronyms
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:14:27 -0400

KISS is most assuredly not a "Navy" acronym -- its first recorded use was
in 1917 in the 1st Division ('the Big Red One'), and the second 'S' was
assuredly NOT 'stupid', but a more scatalogical, and less complimentary,
term.  The Navy usage, while logical, is somewhat later.

SNAFU has already been defined.  There are also:

FUBAR	"'Fouled' Up Beyond All Recognition"
FIGMO	"'Forget' It -- I Got My Orders"
DILLIGAS	"Do I Look Like I Give A 'Shoot'" ("Shoot" here complying with the
Carlin rule, that "Sh*t is Shoot With Two "O"'s")

There are a slew of others.  Heck, I thought there were a lot more veterans
on the List.  The British had even better ones than ours, as did the
Canadians.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!